Monday, July 20, 2015

Hello Friends! Let's talk about reading!

Hello friends! 

I have been doing a lot of reading about...reading! Well, let's be more specific. I have been enjoying a lot of professional development about all areas of balanced literacy. I have also been fortunate to learn from an amazing literacy coach and friend. I have expanded my PLN on Twitter through motivating twitter chats and discussions. I look forward to sharing with all of you.

I plan on discussing some really amazing things from my kindergarten classroom. I will be using the new reading units of study by Lucy Calkins and TCRWP. I have been using the writing units of study for the past two years, so I am really excited about the reading units. I was very fortunate to be able to pilot one of the units last winter for Teacher's College and all I can say is...WOW!!!! 

In addition to TCRWP, I will also talk about my use of the wonderful book called The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo. If you have not read this yet, go purchase it right now. As I have said before, every teacher must have this book in his or her professional library. I can't wait to implement the strategies in my classroom.



As I mentioned, I will focus on different parts of my literacy program.  Below is a very brief summary of how I use the workshop model with my students. 



Reading Workshop
In Kindergarten



My Reading Workshop looks a lot like my writing workshop! In fact, the two workshops often flow together nicely during my ELA block. It begins with a mini-lesson, moves to independent reading time and then transitions to partner reading. During either independent or partner reading time, you can meet with guided reading groups.


My Schedule:

Opening: Whole Group Mini-Lesson (about 15 minutes)

Work Time: Independent Reading Time and Partner Reading Time
(Guided Reading Groups and/or individual reading conferences occur during Independent and Partner time) (30 minutes)

Close: Share (5 minutes)


What Does It Look Like in September?

As with everything in kindergarten, you will model everything again and again. Once children have increased reading stamina and independence, you can begin pulling groups. Do not expect to begin guided reading groups until end of September or early October.


The way you schedule your reading groups is completely up to you. Some teachers meet with groups during independent reading and partner reading time. Others use literacy stations, centers, daily five or other formats. You can use any schedule that meets your classroom philosophy as long as you are able to meet with groups on a daily basis.


Mt Book List for Reading Workshop in September:


How To Read A Story by Kate Messner
The Best Place To Read by Debbie Bertram
The Best Book To Read by Debbie Bertram
Reading Makes You Feel Good by Todd Parr
We’re Going on a Book Hunt by Pat Miller
Read Anything Good Lately? By Susan Allen
Born to Read by Judy Sierra
Look! I Can Read? By Susan Hood
Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians by Jackie Mims Hopkins
Read it, Don’t Eat It by Ian Schoenherr